Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Since Christmas

I remember one of the best things when I was in school (I attended public school) was Christmas parties. We had them in elementary school, but didn't from middle school and on. So, why shouldn't we have one? I told the boys that we were going to have an extra-special Christmas party and hyped it up all month. Well, for the last day of school before break we made and decorated cookies for Christmas. This was NOT an easy task for us. I let the kids help me in the kitchen...but we're talking a 4 year old and a 3 year old with a 10 month old always clinging to my skirt. Fortunately a friend of mine volunteered to keep Lydia at a birthday party for a few hours (thanks Mandy). Well, we got it done, but believe me, I was exhausted.

We mixed up the cookies and as we let them get a good chill (you just can't roll out room temperature dough), I took the boys to the town park. They love that. There is no better place than the park. Of course, their favorite park is the massive Benny Russell Park in Pace. But this day we stayed local. We came home, baked, cooled and decorated. I took a shot of the kids' hard work to share.


Something else to mention...it seems that Ethan has memorized Psalm 23 before John. Way to go!

We ended up having an extended break by no doing of my own. We had a terrible cold hit us. Since it was just a little viral cold, it was in and out of here in just a few days. Something crazy though: I totally, 100% lost my voice. It's been a week and a half and I still don't have it all back. When I was a teenager, it was not uncommon for me to lose my voice after a football game or whatever. Even then it was never completely gone and certainly nothing a night's
sleep couldn't remedy. I mean I had no voice. Zero. Not even a whisper. When I say it was gone, I mean gone. It was hard enough just keeping order in the house when I couldn't communicate with the kids. I wasn't even about to attempt to have school. How could I teach him to make a "B" sound when I couldn't even make a "B" sound?

What was a blessing though was that the boys were actually eager to get back to school. They kept asking, "Can we have school today? I miss school, Mom." Yeah, that's a blessing. In reply I could only smile. Four year olds just don't read lips that well.

0 edifying expressions: