Saturday, February 23, 2008

more birthdays

Today we'll be celebrating John's fifth birthday. He'll actually be five on Tuesday. It seems like we just brought him home a few months ago. Now he's five and is learning to read and add, to be responsible, to prefer others, and so many other wonderful things. As I was tidying up around the house yesterday while the younger two were sleeping, he says, "Mommy, I want to do chores." So I let him handle the dusting and washing dishes. He's just growing up right before me eyes. I can't imagine what I'll be thinking ten years from now when he's fifteen! I"ll have pics of the big event as soon as possible.

I never posted the results of the chili cook-off. Well, I had a second place finish. My first reaction was "second place is the first loser." Of course, I meant this lightheartedly. As I got to thinking about it, that's something to be proud of. The man that beat me was in his 60's. I cooked a meal for the first time in my life the night we got back from our honeymoon. So, I've only been cooking for 7 1/2 years! The homemade, hand ground chili powder helped a lot though. One of the judges told me that she could tell the difference in the fresh powder.

I've been reading through the book of Ezekiel lately. It's really been a blessing. My husband's is not a pastor. We're not in full time ministry. But I've seen just a glimpse of the pain our pastor feels for people or families. I can't imagine how the watchman Ezekiel's heart must have ached as he warns of the coming judgment upon his people if they do not repent. Even more, how much the heart of God must ache that He must judge sin.

Lydia has come in here and is crying for her nap...

1 edifying expressions:

HsKubes said...

Happy belated birthday to your sweet ones. I enjoyed, too, looking at the pics below.
That's great that you came in second place (and only 7 1/2 yrs of cooking). ;o)
Thank you for sharing your gleanings from Ezekiel. Your thoughts were a blessing.

I'm glad you enjoyed the candy bar sermon. If your husband decides to use it, I hope he's able to stump a few young people. ;o)

Enjoy the rest of your week.
~ Christina