Tuesday, March 4, 2008

vegetable gardening

I could really post tons of stuff about yesterday's gardening adventure, but my duties of home beckon. This year, the Lord allowed us to [finally] start a vegetable garden! Jeremy and I have wanted one ever since we moved out here, but didn't have the time or the money to start one up. Well, this year marks our first attempt at a vegetable garden.

Ethan and John "raking" out the grass lingering in the newly tilled ground.


The garden is actually pretty big. Only about half of it is shown in that picture.

Ethan and Jeremy planting ... something ... broccoli maybe? Ethan watered as Jeremy planted the plant.


Oh, and I did have to do my fair share of the work, too. I was just the only one who could be bothered with cleaning my hands enough to handle the camera!

Here's Lydia "helping." She was so funny-looking sitting down right in the middle of the dark brown dirt! She'd play in it and rub her hands down in it. Most of our yard is covered in grass, weeds and a combination of the two. Oh, and don't mind the dirt around her mouth. I'm sure she ate some of it, but she's no worse off.


Here's a list of what we're planting:

  • red potatoes
  • spring collards
  • mustard
  • kale
  • cabbage
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • Brussels sprouts
  • okra
  • green snap beans
  • English peas
  • zucchini
  • yellow crookneck squash
  • sweet corn
  • Romaine lettuce (if the rabbits don't get it all first!)
  • tomatoes (globe, cherry, Roma, and grape)
  • white onions
  • cucumbers
I think that's all, but who knows what else could be lurking out there. We also plan on planting some peppers along with some herbs. I lover cooking with fresh herbs, but who can afford to cook with them every time they cook? I'm really praying that the Lord will bless our garden. We're also praying about buying a home canner. The things that we get out of my father-in-law's garden, we usually freeze, some of these things just won't do in the freezer. What could be better than fresh tomatoes in the dead of winter?

0 edifying expressions: