Friday, June 20, 2008

correction ... and an answer to prayer

that doughnut sale is actually next Friday, the 27th. Oops, sorry!!

As for tonight, my children are going to the circus with my Mom and Dad. On that note I have the biggest praise to share!

Ethan, my three-year-old, came down with a ... something. A virus of some sort. Now, I do have very healthy children. None of my kids have ever had an antibiotic and John and Lydia very seldom have a virus. Ethan however, has several allergies including peanuts, cats, dogs and feathers. You'll remember from our Easter vacation that Ethan was in the emergency room from exposure to cat dander. When something ... even not one of his known allergies ... gets his allergies in a tizzy, he usually gets a fever and cold symptoms. They always last a week. I can only think of 1 time that it didn't last a week. So, he started with the cold symptoms Tuesday night along with a fever. By bedtime he was on his nebulizer. By the morning (2 days before the circus) his fever had crossed 102. We didn't want to sugar coat the situation for him, so his Daddy told him, "Ethan, if you're not well by Friday you can't go to the circus." Of course, that sent him into the saddest crying imaginable. I really knew that he couldn't go being sick, but I didn't have the heart to tell him. So, his Daddy reminded him that God could heal his sickness if he prayed and asked for healing. Jeremy, John and Lydia went off to church while I stayed home with Ethan. When they got home, John was so sweet. He told Ethan, "Ethan I put you on the prayer list and I prayed for you three times at church." The "three times" was said with such sincerity I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud!

I certainly wouldn't keep him from going to the circus with a cough...even a pretty nasty cough. Of course, he can't go out with a fever nor with his asthma acting up. Well, I say asthma. He doesn't really have asthma per se, I guess. From what I've observed, pediatricians seem reluctant to diagnose asthma. My pediatrician (who is really amazing) will say that Ethan's wheezing or he can have allergy driven asthma symptoms. She's never labeled him as asthmatic. BUT when we took him to an allergist, the allergist said that anyone who wheezes, no matter the circumstances, is to some degree asthmatic. It seems to me that pediatricians are hesitant to diagnose asthma and allergists all too ready. Who knows... lol

Anyway, back to the subject: We had family prayer and everyone focused on Ethan's sickness. We put Ethan to bed Wednesday night after having done a breathing treatment for wheezing, giving him medicine for fever and Benadryl just to calm whatever's got his allergies irritated. He really was pretty sick. I remember praying that night, "Lord, if he's better in the morning it'll really be nothing short of Your hand in it."

Well, I just love it when the Lord just makes Himself known. You know, when there's just really no mistaking it and you say to yourself, "Wow, that was the hand of God!" Thursday morning Ethan woke up right as rain! Even when he's "better" there's usually a croupy cough that lingers on and on. Not this time. I think I actually noticed him coughing maybe twice Thursday. He was his normal self...bouncing, jumping, screaming ... and more screaming (he's a screamer).

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my blessings and praises with everyone. Hope you're blessed to hear how God heard and answered the prayers of a three-year-old boy (and his five-year-old brother, his dad and mom, and church family :P).

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. --Matthew 19:14

0 edifying expressions: