Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You Seven Years Ago?


I read a blog entry from the writer of northescambia.com today. It was entitled Where Were You That September Morning? It really got me to thinking back to that morning and I thought I'd share with everyone.

I was working, at the time, at Whitney bank when they had a branch open near my home. One of my co-workers had gone in ahead of me to turn off the alarm. When she came back out and gave the "all clear" to come in, she asked, "Did you hear about the World Trade Center. A plane crashed into it!" I remember asking in reply with a mildly sarcastic giggle, "What? Did he not see the giant building there? It's only the biggest building in the world." I remember thinking "What a dope! How do you hit something that size?" As the events unfolded, I was numb with astonishment. We were being attacked! That sort of stuff doesn't happen in the U.S. After the second tower was hit another co-worker went home to get a 13" TV for us to watch. She had just gotten it plugged in and the first tower fell.

It was a very somber day at work that day. Being a country bank, people usually would come in and sit and chat for a while. They'd drink coffee and talk about their families and such, and such conversations usually involved all the branch employees. That day wasn't so cheery. People came in quietly and left equally quietly. If they lingered, they watched the news report on TV in silence.

We as a nation, following that day, were so proud to stand together. Forever etched in my memory is the Congress singing together "God Bless America."

Never forget...

0 edifying expressions: