Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook - Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Outside my Window...a bright beautiful Florida sun which is producing temps of 84 at the moment...rather on the warm-side for mid-October.


I am thinking...of all the the mental notes I have posted regarding my responsibilities prior to my departure to our church's ladies retreat tomorrow.


I am thankful for...God's peace in such a chaotic world.


From the kitchen...breakfast was cheese grits and scrambled eggs, lunch was homemade ham and cheese "Lunchables," for supper, grilled (or maybe fried) pork chops, broccoli and homemade cheese sauce, and yellow summer squash. I'm also working on making food while I'm gone on my trip: a loaf of bread, a lasagna, and a pot of vegetable beef soup.


I am wearing...denim skirt, not very long: say below mid-calf. A half-length sleeve red knit shirt, and my faithful tennis shoes...a must on a busy day.


I am reading...I'm trying to finally put the wraps on The Gospel According to Disney: Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust by Mark I. Pinsky. It's a pretty good read, but not what I expected. You just have to remember that Mr. Pinsky's views aren't far right. But he is pretty objective. I thought, with such a strong title, that he would be blasting Disney for all of it's evil wickedness. I was wrong.

In my Bible study, I'm reading the book of Hosea. I love the way that God's word gives illustrations, such as Hosea's adulterous wife and his faithfulness to her, to demonstrate truths in our Christian walk.

I opened Sense and Sensibility this weekend, more on that below.


I am hoping...to have a good time while on our ladies retreat. I don't usually have a great time if separated from my family. I'm also hoping (and praying) that the children behave for Jeremy as he tackles teaching his first homeschool lesson.


I am creating...a loaf of whole wheat bread. Dinner for several days. When I get home, I plan to start Lydia a new dress. She desperately needs play clothes.


I am hearing...Lydia jabber as she's sitting in my lap and the boys sweetly playing together.


Around the house...typical of a home with very young kids. There is definitely plenty of children's clutter lying about, but it's not too messy.


One of my favorite things...I've thought several times this week about how wonderful it is to live in the country. Sunday afternoon I took Sense and Sensibility on the back porch swing. It was chilly...for Florida, say 76 degrees, so I took a blanket and a cup of tea with me. I could hear the wind in the trees. I could tell the difference between the wind when it was in nearby trees and distant trees. The air was sweet and it was very very quiet and peaceful outside


A few plans for the rest of the week...Spending time in Pigeon Forge, TN with the ladies of our church. Again, I'm praying that the Lord help me have a good time of fellowship, but I'm usually so unhappy when separated from my husband and/or children.


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...Monday, a week ago, we took the children, along with my parents to the Naval Air Museum and Fort Barrancas at NAS Pensacola. We also stopped by the Pensacola Lighthouse, only to learn that it was only open on Saturdays. Here are a few of the children at Fort Barrancas. I plan to put more of the photos up from our adventure soon.

John, Lydia, and Ethan standing on the drawbridge of Fort Barrancas. This is the entrance is called the "sallyport." (click for larger)

John balances on an old cannon atop the fort on the parade ground.

Lydia poses for me up in a gun port.

Civil war era photos of action at Fort Barrancas.

1 edifying expressions:

Sharon said...

I'm like you in that I don't like being separated from my family either. I usually decline invitations to go on ladies' retreats. I really enjoy being at home and totally in agreement about living in the country. I love it! :)