Thursday, November 6, 2008

Food for Thought

I stumbled upon this quote this week and I've been thinking it over at length:

However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address, Sep. 17, 1796

I write this in the wake of Tuesday's election results. Such truth in his words, isn't it? I haven't spent too much time on this blog in the field of politics. Not because I'm ill-informed or anything, but that's just not where God is leading.

When I turned 18, I asked God to show me how to vote. Here is where I had peace in deciding how to vote: maybe there will be a time when no one who is a born-again Christian is running. Just be sure that your man isn't crossing any of the boundaries I set up in the Bible and you'll be voting right.

This year was the first year that I didn't vote Republican. Under my husband's leadership, we voted third-party. Of course, mour guy didn't win. But in the end, I voted for a man who was right with God's Word. You wouldn't believe how great I felt! I didn't check an "R" because an "R" had to be better than the "D." (it's not always. Many "R's" are "D's" in denial. Forget what the news feeds us and read voting records. There's where the truth is). I didn't have to settle on "the lesser of two evils." (Which is still evil, I remind you). I held my candidate up to the Bible.

We voted for Chuck Baldwin or the Constitution Party. Yes, he's a pastor. Is he wrong for leaving his pastorate? Is he campaigning and then "falling back on" his church? I don't know. But I'm certain that even if he's dead-wrong for leaving his church, we'd still be better off with him than with McCain or Obama.

You don't have to agree with me. After I left my voting precinct Tuesday, I can attest that I had the peace of God...far more than I'd ever had voting before.

0 edifying expressions: