Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ode to the Heat-Wave

I'm not a poet, though I would love to be.

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Not a creature was shiv'ring, not even my spouse
The stockings we hung on the wall with much care
A fireplace burning? No one would dare.
The children were laying on top of their bed
Ne'er a blanket was needed, as cheeks were quite red.
And Dad in his shorts, and I in my summer gown
A cold glass of ice water would nicely go down.
When off in the distance there arose such a clatter,
I lifted an eyebrow to see what was the matter.
Amidst this heat wave the temperature had risen
To temps so high that turned on the air conditionin'
What else could there be to baffle my reason?
Sultry weather dampens the Christmas season!
When, what to my wondering eyes do I see.
Hark! 'Tis our family Christmas tree!
The fan and air had stirred up the tinsel
No longer was it hanging, straight as a pencil.
Hoping and praying for winter's cool chill
Florida's left out of the freezing feel!
But now I exclaim, without even a slight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a COLD night!"

0 edifying expressions: