Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Beauty in Simplicity


I have no idea where this thought came from because I haven't seen one of these things in years. But last night, I was thinking to myself (which I do a lot) about a cameo that my grandmother had years ago. When I was a teenager, I didn't at all like it. It seemed too old-fashioned and so un-trendy. That said, part of me was also captivated by it. I remember looking at it, wondering who the woman was, or who was she modeled after, what stories could she tell about her life, how pretty and feminine she looked.

Now when I look at a cameo, I see beauty in the simple. I think that there are few things more beautiful than simple femininity. That goes in for more than just jewelry, it goes into most every aspect of life.

3 edifying expressions:

Kristi said...

I have ALWAYS been fascinated by the cameo. Here's a little history on it if you're interested. LOL

This may blow your mind, but did you know men originally wore the cameo? Most of which would depict a living hero or ruler.

They SAY Pope Paul II died from his collection, which he wore on his hands. They say there were so many carved and jeweled cameos on his hands that he became chilled, which led to his death. Mind you, I doubt this was the cause, but you know...that was a loooong time ago. lol

Cameos were used as military accessories too. You know, on helmets, swords and such.

During the Elizabethton period is when women began collecting them.

Also, Napoleon loved cameos so much he started a school in Paris that taught the art of cameo carving.

It wasn't until the 19th century that cameos became popular on carved sea shells and bore a profile of a lady.

Pretty interesting facts, huh?

~Kristi

Elizabeth said...

That is really fascinating, Kristi. I am all about trivia, little interesting facts or details, etc. So these facts about the cameo are an extra treat!

~~Deby said...

oh this was a great post....and I like the info Kristi gave...she is a smartie , that girlie is....LOL...
Deby