Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook - January 21, 2009

I actually made this post this morning, but as I went to take the picture at the bottom, my battery in my camera needed charging and, here I am now getting around to finishing this Daybook entry.

FOR TODAY January 21, 2009

Outside my window ... sunny and pretty, but bitterly cold at just 40 degrees.

I am thinking ... I can't believe that Lydia will be two in just 2 1/2 weeks. I'm making mental notes about plans for a very small scale birthday party.

I am thankful for ... God loving me, when I'm so unlovable.

From the learning rooms ... usually I put a lot of stress on the boys since they are actually homeschooled. I work with Lydia just as much as the boys though. After all, homeschooling never really begins or ends, it simply "is," right? I was proud today when she pointed out red, green, and blue. She counted to twenty for me today. She's also memorizing scripture passages along with the boys. The boys are memorizing John 3:16-21. She misses out on words here and there, but it's amazing to me that she, who is not yet two, can memorize a passage that lengthy.

From the kitchen ... Jeremy asked for 15 bean soup when I was making out my week's menu. Bean soup is not my forte, but I'm trying it nonetheless. It smells wonderful and the broth tastes fantastic. Cornbread will be baked to go along.

I am wearing ... purple turtleneck knit sweater, black knit skirt, my trusty tennis shoes and hair pulled back in a headband.

I am creating ... nothing officially yet, well, nothing creative or crafy. I'm about to start on a jumper for Lydia for her birthday. Soon I'll be looking at Easter dresses for the two of us also. And I'm hoping that I don't need much belly-room by mid-April.

I am going ... to church tonight and looking forward to it. I'm hoping that the organ is fixed. It's old and needs repair. Sometimes it will cooperate, and sometimes will not. I've enjoyed filling in with the choir, but I very much miss playing it. I've had many, many people ask why I've not played and said they've missed it as well.

I am reading ... Matthew with the youth group, Proverbs and Psalms. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

I am hoping (praying) ... for my children, that they will fully surrender to the Lord's will for their lives just as soon as they can comprehend what it means. Especially praying for John, who seems to have the Lord knocking on his door for salvation. He knows it all as a head-knowledge, but does not yet apply it to his heart. I believe the Lord is starting to show him personally that he needs a Saviour.

I am hearing ... the clothes in the dryer tumble, the clothes in the washer spinning and that is all, as the children are napping before church tonight.

Around the house ... the children have cleaned up their toys from the living room, but the kitchen floor badly needs to be mopped. That is my plan after I finish this!

One of my favorite things ... things that smell good! See picture below.

A few plans for the rest of the week ... visitation is Thursday night and maybe we'll get to go see my Mom Saturday night. I'll be trying my hand at making my own laundry detergent by Friday, hopefully. I was able to get everything to make 100 loads for $6. Not a bad deal, I'd say.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...Yesterday Momma came to visit. Earlier that same day my dearest friend, Melissa, called and said that our favorite candle store was going out of business. All of her stock was at least half off. Momma was so sweet and she bought this beautiful tart warmer and gave it to me! I think it's soooo pretty. Once we work on that home TLC I've been talking about, it will match perfectly.

follow-up: you can see that the doily I used here is way too big for that spot on the piano. My grandmother made it (several actually) and she liked them on the bigger side. Well, I found one in the bottom of my hope chest that fits quite nicely. It's sort of Battenburg lace sort of doily, but Nannie didn't make it. :)

1 edifying expressions:

HsKubes said...

I've enjoyed reading your daybook.
I hope you had a wonderful service tonight and that you enjoy the rest of your week!

~ Christina