Friday, February 27, 2009

The Proud Mother

Not proud as in prideful, my boy just made me very pleased yesterday.

Although I have very mixed feelings about immunizations, my children are all immunized. Yesterday John and Lydia had birthday checkups with the pediatrician. Nearly the first thing they said to me was that John was going to have one shot.



It seems like I've been bragging a lot on him lately, but he's done an awful lot to make me very proud. When the nurse told John, I asked him, "Is that okay, John." My kids are very cooperative with shots. They're not the sort you have to hold down or anything like that. Well, once I asked John, he immediately replied, "I'm going to be brave, Momma." When the doctor left and sent for the nurse, he asked a few questions. "Is it going to hurt." I must be honest with him: "Yes, it will hurt, but just for a second. It will feel like a really hard pinch and as soon as it starts hurting, it will be all finished." "Okay, Mom."

John is a very modest boy and they wanted to give him the shot in the leg. So I had an idea. (this is pretty funny) I pulled Lydia's change of clothes (she's pretty well potty trained, but just in case) out of her bag and held up the dress. He looked at me mortified! "Moooom! I can't wear a dress!!!!" I laughed so hard. "No, son," I explained, "you'll have to pull your pants down and you can use this as a blanket to cover up." No mistaking the relief on his face. I thought that was so funny.

Well, when the nurse came in. He did ask me to stand by him. I asked if he was okay and he told me, "I'm brave, remember?" When the nurse started disinfecting his leg he shut his eyes and held his breath. Not only did he not cry, he didn't even flinch. He was honestly just perfect. I could not have been more proud of him!

2 edifying expressions:

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

Michele said...

Aww..what a great story, he *was* brave! I also like that he's modest--rare in this day-and-age.

I wanted to stop by and thank you for the lovely and *encouraging* comment you left for me today. Your encouraging words touched my heart more than you'll ever know. (o:

Blessings,
Michele