Thursday, April 2, 2009

Adventures in Homeopathy, Pt 4

David said moreover, The LORD that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the LORD be with thee. And Saul armed David with his armour, and he put an helmet of brass upon his head; also he armed him with a coat of mail. And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him. --1 Samuel 17:37-39

This really is one of my favorite passages of Scripture. David knew that the Lord was on his side. He had the power of God on him. His trust was in the power of God because he had proven (tried, tested) that power. God had not let him down and God wasn't going to let him down now. He didn't trust the king's armour and sword because he had not tested it. He was going to stick with Someone who had delivered him before.

I have 3 chef's knives. One of them is a Santoku knife and the other 2 are traditional chef's knives. I use all of them. When I have a dish that calls for me to slice something thin or requires a lot of mincing I have a particular knife that I favor. I like the grip, it has a more balanced weight, and it's good and sharp. This knife promises to do well any time I need it to preform. I have proven it. We can all think of different situation, spiritual or otherwise, where we stick with what is tried-and-true.

We had the opportunity to prove this new route of medicine last week. It had been a while since we'd had a good rain and the pollen index was outrageous. Spring pollen season is hard on Ethan ... not to mention that we live within 50 miles (as the pollen flies) of the 12th and 35th worst cities for spring pollen. The pollen was collecting everywhere making blankets of yellow on everything. I can't (and I'm not going to) keep the boy indoors all spring and eventually his immune system had all it could take. The asthma attacks started.

One of the recommended treatment options that our nutritionist gave us was to soak thinly sliced onion in a small amount of honey. I honestly was so suspicious. I mean ... onion? I think onion and I think mirepiox or the Cajun trinity of aromatics. (I hate using that term ... but there really is no other name for it) I know that the Lord directed us in this direction for Ethan, but just opposite as David trusted God because he had proven Him, I personally have not proven herbal medicine. I was going by faith. I'd like to think I can trust God by faith; I've done that with many things. But we're talking about my son's health here! Ya' know, breathing is rather essential to life. It was a different leap of faith than I had taken before. As I listened to him breathe, I kept thinking of the above Scripture. I prayed many times, Lord I haven't proven this medicine, but I know that You've sent us here. Help me to trust and prove them to me. Or something to that effect.

In the five days that Ethan was down with asthma we continued the onion and honey (we use only local honey). We could make a cranberry tea from fresh cranberries. Cranberry is an anti-inflammatory. We also were told that we could give him Lobelia extract for a serious attack, but didn't have any and didn't have a way to get any. We did have to give him his nebulizer, which we were told may happen if he had an acute attack, until his immune system and mineral levels got stronger. And really the reason we had to give the nebulizer was because there was a miscommunication between Jeremy and I: Jeremy thought I had given Ethan the onion and honey, and I thought Jeremy had done it. So, it didn't happen. Instead of having to give him a breathing treatment every 4-6 hours, which is typical, he only had to have it twice over the five days. The onion worked surprisingly (to me) well. It didn't open him up 100%, but he was still able to play and have brief outdoor play. His attitude and behavior, which is the best sickness gauge for little kids I think, was very pleasant.



His skin is now still flared up, but that is normal for him following a bad asthma attack. It seems like when he has an attack with asthma it goes "through" him. In through the lungs and out through the skin. That's not exactly scientific terminology, but that's the best that I can explain it. The calendula cream that we were able to order is helping with his skin.

I mentioned the bedwetting as a big plus. Another thing that I am really amazed with is the turnaround in his attitude. It seems that he is so much more cooperative. He's not so quick to fly off the handle when he doesn't get his way. He just really seems much happier. Don't get me wrong, he still a little boy and has a lot of character molding left to be done on him. But really, I as his mom can tell that he is much easier to deal with, his attention span is longer, and he's more ... I don't know ... stable?



We are so excited to see what the Lord has for us over the next several months. Hopefully it won't include any more asthma! haha! Seriously though, it will take a while to get Ethan's vitamin and mineral levels back up. See, pharmaceutical medicine offers a quick fix, but it's not usually a permanent fix. It usually just treats the symptoms and not the cause. It also depletes your body of vital nutrients, which you must have for your immune system to work properly. Although Ethan is no longer taking any of his meds, it is going to take a while for his body to get back in balance.

Thanks for hanging through this really loooooong series! :-)

2 edifying expressions:

Sharon said...

He is a cutie-pie!!!!! I'm so happy to hear your natural treatments are really helping him. :)

Tammy said...

You said, "Pharmaceutical medicine offers a quick fix, but it's not usually a permanent fix. It usually just treats the symptoms and not the cause. It also depletes your body of vital nutrients, which you must have for your immune system to work properly."

And I say, "AMEN." And I add that the pharmaceuticals also place undue stress on the organs of the body including the liver, kidneys & skin, which purge the body of toxins.

Another great post!