Thursday, March 12, 2009

Calling All Home Remedy Experts (or Novices)

Lydia has been battling constipation for about 10 days. She gets "the urge" but with little to no result. It's starting interfere with her potty training and, frankly, I'm getting tired of cleaning puddles up from the floor. When she's constipated, she doesn't want to do anything with the potty.

Any home remedy I can find via Google searching for constipation involves something that I know I'll never get her to drink or eat. Any suggestions for getting things moving again?

See, the problem (I'm 100% certain) is that since we've been busy with t-ball, I've just not had the time to cook proper meals. Meaning that our vegetables and fiber have nearly gone to zero. I'm going to try to encourage her to eat more apples, prunes, and maybe some raw carrots if I can get to the store. I'm just not sure that this will be enough to get her regular.

Thanks, ladies, for any help you can offer.

3 edifying expressions:

Lady of Value said...

My son used to go through bouts of constipation as well when he was smaller - the pediatrition gave us mineral oil (1 TBSp daily) along with Docusate. It will take a few days, but it will work, trust me.

Boysaplenty!! said...

You are definitely on the right track with the raw fruits and veggies. Pears always worked quickly for my gang for some reason. A on-the-go tip for a good snack is to pre-slice the apples or pears, dip in lemon or orange juice to prevent browning and pack in an insulated bag for the games and practices. Another snack with lots of fiber is apple/cinnamon fiber wafers made by Metamucil. Very tasty. Good luck, I know that is a miserable thing for little ones to go through. Hope this helps. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Blessings,
Pam

Elizabeth said...

Thanks ladies! I've been working over time in the fruits and vegetables department. It seems like what's working great for her is undiluted orange juice. Maybe it will keep her going!