Sunday, June 7, 2009

What Is Our Country Coming To?

Frog's Lilypad: What Is Our Country Coming To?

I wanted to quickly share Lori's post. It truly saddens my heart to see the anti-Bible direction our nation is taking.

Next weekend we'll be having our last fundraiser for this year's camp. I'll be taking a little while out this week to work out details and organize it. But it is great to have some fantastic youth parents and church members who get in there and really make these fundraisers happen! Sitting down with a paper and etching out the details is the easy part (unless you've never done it before! *thinking back to the first time we did this* ha!).

It seems like I haven't often posted what's been going on in the youth department. Jeremy's been teaching this series that I really enjoy. I like it so much because it's direct and to-the-point, but not elementary if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure it's entitled "Why Should I?" Why is a question that gets so tiresome to parents when it's coming out of your two-year-old's mouth every time you speak to her. Teens ask "why" often also, they just as more specifically. The series is done in a worksheet style with fill-in-the-blanks.

The lessons include:
Why Should I Come to Church?
Why Should I Pray?
Why Should I Read the Bible?
... Dress Right?
... Have the Right Kinds of Friends?
... Not Have the Wrong Kinds of Friends?
... Keep Myself Pure?
... Honor My Parents?
... Tell Others About Christ?
... Give My Life to Christ?

Yes, there are tons more very worthwhile things to teach teens, but I think that these things are the things that are asked about most frequently. What I like is that it isn't just telling them that they should, but teaching them why they should.

S. M. Davis said this, and I really like it:
Knowledge is learning what God wants me to do.
Wisdom is learning how to do what God wants me to do.
Understanding is learning why to do what God wants me to do.

1 edifying expressions:

Tammy said...

Sounds like a great series Bro. Jeremy is preaching... er, teaching!

;o)