Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook - June 13, 2009

















Outside my window...

it is clear, maybe a little hazy. Boy, it's hot! A forecast high today of 96 and a heat index of about 102. Happy summer in Florida.

I am thinking...
how blessed I am to have a complete copy of the Word of God.

I am thankful for...
my family. I am thankful for John, who on Wednesday night, went to the altar. That, in itself is not at all unusual. But this time, he spoke with Pastor for a long time after church. He knows that he's not saved and that his heart is empty. But he doesn't understand yet that he personally needs his sins forgiven. Please pray that the Holy Spirit enlightens his heart soon. Also, I am thankful for the daily chore charts I finally finished ... finally.

From the learning rooms...
still working toward getting school ready. We'll be starting back shortly after our return from camp. There is some laundry over there that needs to be folded!

From the kitchen...
I've let us run out of bread again, so I'll be baking bread today. Lots of hard work from the garden as our first corn planting is in.

I am wearing...
a denim shirt and a lighter denim skirt that my mom made for me when I was pregnant with Ethan. No shoes yet as I am still battling my septendecillionth case of athlete's foot. I spoke with the lady who's helping us with Ethan's medicine. Hopefully this will be my last case of the evil fungus.

I am creating...
a generously sized nightgown to take to camp with me. The one I'm wearing at home is not maternity. It's quite a sight! I plan to make a weekly chore chart to work with the daily chore chart also.

I am going...
no where today that I plan. Possibly to pick up my kitchen knives from our local butcher shop, who volunteered to sharpen them for free on their professional wetrock.

I am reading...
Acts, Romans, Proverbs, Psalms. Unfortunately, no other books. I hope to start some as soon as we get back from camp. This is just such a crazy-busy time of year for us.

I am hoping (praying)...
that the Lord speaks to our teens during camp, that the Lord takes care of our children while we're gone, that the very hard Braxton-Hicks contractions I've been having the past several days are not going to interfere with camp.

I am hearing...
Lydia singing, making up the words as she goes and Ethan cleaning the kitchen. I don't hear John as he is making his bed and getting dressed.

Around the house...
I am so glad that we have finally started with the chore charts. My home is not perfectly clean, but there is no clutter. Which means that we can start cleaning it instead of de-cluttering it. We (me or one of the boys) will be working with Lydia on how to do her new chores.

One of my favorite things...
the giggles of my kids playing together.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
finish my nightgown, begin a new dress for Lydia and maybe a skirt for her out of the scraps, put up corn, beans, potatoes and whatever else may be out in the garden. I've been learning how to freeze potatoes. It's something I've never done before or heard of anyone else doing. I found some pretty helpful articles online though. We'll be having our last camp fundraiser for this year. I'm also praying that goes well. The devil always tries to mess up anything and he's trying very hard to mess this up too!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

This a blast from the past I found on the computer this morning. Here's is John at about 9 or 10 months old. It's the first time he let go tried to stand on his own two feet!

Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. --Psalm 33:8

4 edifying expressions:

Kimberly said...

I'm a new reader to your blog. Wow, that's hot! Do you have air conditioning? I need to make bread today too, but it's only going to be 73 for a high, so running the oven isn't such a problem. I would like to hear more about freezing potatoes.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kimberly. Thanks for stopping by. YES ... We certainly do have air conditioning. In fact, we even have a window unit that stays in the shed in case of hurricanes. In my part of Florida the air conditioning starts coming on sometime in March. We don't get to shut it off usually until mid-November. We'll have breaks in the heat as it gets on into fall. I've lived in Florida my whole life and the heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity. Sometimes it feels like your breathing in a sauna.

I'll probably be tackling the potato project this week. I'll let you know how it goes!

Mrs. White said...

How nice to read a post that is like a "visit" from you. Your chore planning sounds good. I am just starting to plan some new chores for my older children and also our upcoming school year. It's a lot of work!
Hope you have a peaceful time at camp and that everyone is drawn close to the Lord and refreshed!
Get lots of rest when you can!!
Blessings
Mrs. White

Kristy... said...

ok that picture is SUPER sweet....