Thursday, July 23, 2009

Microwave Potato Chips

I really didn't plan on making a post today, but here's what happened. I had a pregnancy-induced craving. A bad one. Something that I love, pregnant or not, is a banana sandwich with mayonnaise with plain potato chips and salsa. Yes, that is strange. It's something that I love, pregnant or not. But yesterday I felt like I had to have it or I was going to be miserable forever! One problem. We don't really keep junk food in the house too much. Therefore, we didn't have potato chips. I wanted chips and salsa and a banana sandwich so bad that I was willing to make all the mess of deep frying my own chips. So I got to poking around the internet for chip recipes. I came across the recipe on allrecipes.com (one of my favorite places) and was pleasantly surprised! Here's the "official" recipe:

Microwave Potato Chips

  • 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
  • salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Scrub the potatoes, then slice them paper thin. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the bottom of your microwave oven. Place the potato slices in a single layer on top of the paper. Season with salt . Cover the potatoes with a second sheet of parchment paper.
  2. Cook on high power for 8 minutes, or until potato slices are browned and crisp, testing and adjusting the time as necessary since all microwaves cook differently. Remove potato chips from the microwave and cool on a rack. Repeat these steps to cook the remaining potato slices.
Well, needless to say, I didn't exactly follow the directions. I don't really buy parchment paper because it's so expensive. I just used a big stoneware platter, something I knew could stand up to prolonged high microwave heat. I sprayed it with Pam, laid out the potato slices good in 1 layer and salted. It only took me 4 or 4 1/2 minutes to cook them. Oh, and I used my mandoline slicer set to 1/8" thickness (I'm no gourmet chef and can't slice potatoes that thin evenly).

I never ever ever cook in the microwave. To me, it's just not cooking unless it's on the stove. I'm always really skeptical of food cooked in a microwave. But I can't brag enough on these chips. They were soooooooooo good. They were slightly browned. They were crispy. They were even "loud crunchy," if you know what I mean.

To boot, they were GUILT FREE! Yup! Guilt free chips. Just think: only 11 Wavy Lays Potato chips has 150 calories and 10 fat grams. I don't know how many chips I had, but I had 1 medium red potato. I must have had at least 30 or something. They had just 100 calories and ZERO fat!

1 edifying expressions:

Kristy... said...

ok YUm....
I am the same as you, I dont cook in the microwave ..... I sometimes use it to reheat... but thats it.

But, the chips sound yummy.. as far as the sandwhich.... thats questionable :)