Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Ethan!

Celebrating five wonderful years with Ethan! He wanted an Alabama football cake. I think he was trying to impress his Daddy, who is the biggest Alabama fan I know.
I completely adore his cake. Our new "cake lady" really goes the extra mile. She ordered Bear Bryant style hounds tooth to go around the edges.


Yes, he's five. Where has time gone? To the left is Miss Lydia who constantly said, "I just want a little taste" with pointer finger extended toward the cake. ha!


Here is a disposable stethoscope we brought home from the hospital. The kids think it's the coolest thing ever.


Josiah is on the mend, as you can see, he's still a bit pale and weak. Here he is happy, but he has been a BEAR since he's been home. I'd imagine that after a week of super-strength Rocephin, an antibiotic, his nutrient levels are badly out of whack. When Ethan was on pharmaceuticals, he was always cranky. But since Josiah's diet is still 100% baby super food (mother's milk), he should be back in balance relatively soon. Just have to deal with lots of crying and whining in the meanwhile.

Speaking of super food, I'll mention this season's garden quickly: collards, rutabagas, carrots, onions, mustard, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage. Yum!

Ooh, and I have to talk about my thrift store finds, too! I don't usually have great luck when I go. I nearly always get just 1 or 2 items and can't find anything else. The Lord really blessed this trip: Lydia got 2 or 3 (I forget) long-sleeved tops for play, a school uniform style jumper and matching shirt suitable for church or play and a really cute hoodie. I found a great long sleeved collared blouse and a jean skirt that is super comfortable. It does need some repair work. It looks like the previous owner took out the hem perhaps to lengthen it. Not very smart. The hem has been in place for so long you can't even iron the folds out. Someone wasn't thinking on that one! Then I also found a black pinstripe skirt. Great churchwear. Nothing for the boys this time, unfortunately. I don't usually have much luck finding the boys stuff. They're just so rough on clothes. Grand total? 9 items for $15. Store bought that denim skirt would have easily cost double that alone.

P.S. My love emails me all of my little typos after reading this post. Guess I'm tired or something. Anyway, I thought it was funny and the errors have been corrected. :-P

5 edifying expressions:

Street Preachers Wife said...

Elizabeth,
Good to hear that Josiah is on the mend. Although we trust the Lord with our children it is very hard seeing one of them ill and not being able to do much to comfort them. We will continue to pray that he is all better. We just had a birthday Saturday for our youngest. She turned 9. I need to find out where you are in the panhandle, our home-church is in Panama City. I've enjoyed reading your posts. God Bless!

Lori said...

I'm glad to hear that Josiah is at home and on the mend. For that skirt problem, you can always add some trim to hide the crazy goof up. It's amazing what people will do to denim that ruins it.

Kristy... said...

So glad your little man is home!
HE IS TOO CUTE! I love all his dark hair.

The birthday cake is too cool. and Happy Birthday to your Ethan!
I am with Lydia, I want a taste too :P

Tami said...

i'm sorry that i missed out on praying for josiah but i am so glad he's doing better :) how horrible to have to go thru that!

if my blog entries didn't have typos in them then they wouldn't be MINE lol

Anonymous said...

Oh that has to be the best looking cake in the entire country. I'm sure everyone is doing good. ROLL TIDE!!!