Thursday, October 1, 2009

Stay-at-Home Mom

which, in my opinion, is not the same as a keeper at home. But that's a different post. I've talked to so many women who feel as if they are not accomplishing anything in life since they don't measure up to the world's standards of worth. I try to keep the attitude that, while I'm not getting a paycheck here, I'm laying up my treasures above where neither moth nor dust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through nor steal.

Thirty reasons why I love being a stay-at-home mom!

  1. Mornings spent feeding the turtles at the pond.
  2. Laughing together at the ducks bullying the turtles.
  3. My refrigerator is covered in artwork...and the artwork is changed at least weekly.
  4. My daughter tells me several times a day, "Mommy, you're my best friend."
  5. Being thankful they dumped out the cereal box and not the syrup.
  6. Laughing at nothing...just for fun.
  7. The children have never asked, "Who am I staying with today?"
  8. When the kids are sick, they never inconvenience me or anyone else.
  9. Pretending to hunt for buffalo.
  10. Getting the whole park to ourselves...just my kids and me.
  11. Finding a lizard tail in my son's pocket. Think: it could have been the whole lizard!
  12. Watching the boys drag in old, wet, rotten wood to build a campfire.
  13. The entire front porch is decorated in chalk drawings.
  14. "Mom, can you play hopscotch with us?"
  15. My 6 and nearly 5 year old boys honestly know how to take care of a baby.
  16. Trying to make room for all 4 of them in my lap.
  17. Watching Daddy and the children fix stuff.
  18. "Mom, I want to be like Daddy when I grow up."
  19. Seeing the kids get to play in the water hose...everyday if they want (and if we can afford the higher water bill!)
  20. Our house isn't just a "house," it's a home and a haven.
  21. "Momma, can you make ________ for supper this week?"
  22. Flying kites.
  23. Morning and evening family devotions.
  24. Knowing that training, correction and discipline is being done the way we believe it should be done for our family.
  25. Seeing the kids do their chores without being told.
  26. Middle-of-the-living-room wrestling matches.
  27. When there is an opportunity to help my family, friends, or fellow church members, I also have the opportunity to teach my children the importance of helping others and being a servant.
  28. "Mom, can we all bake cookies together?"
  29. Kissing boo-boos.
  30. The joy that fills my heart when I get hugs and kisses for no reason at all, other than "I love you."
Any more you can add?

2 edifying expressions:

Kristy... said...

Staying up late "just because" on a "school night" :)

Camping out on the living room floor.

watching them "play" church, or school, or post office.

my 6 year old making lunch because its FUN...

Oh I could go on and on too.. GREAT post.. thanks!

HsKubes said...

Amen! Love this!
It was a blessing to read!
Thanks for sharing.

~ Christina