Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking to 2010

Another Year Is Dawning

Another year is dawning! Dear Father, let it be,

In working or in waiting, Another year with Thee;

Another year of leaning upon Thy loving breast,
Another year of trusting, of quiet, happy rest.

Another year of mercies, of faithfulness and grace;
Another year of gladness in the shining of Thy face;
Another year of progress, another year of praise,
Another year of proving Thy presence all the days.


Another year of service, of witness for Thy love;

Another year of training for holier work above.
Another year is dawning! Dear Father let it be

On earth, or else in heaven, another year for Thee.



The end of a year is, for me, a time to look back. What has the Lord done for you this year? Did He answer a long time prayer? Did He bring you through a trail, temptation or valley? Maybe you saw a loved one saved this year.

As I reflect upon the year we started the year out in great joy. We had to wait about a year from a miscarriage until we were blessed with conception in the latter part of '08. We were so happy to be expecting another baby! We saw some new additions to the youth department and continue to see Christian maturity bloom in many of our teens. The Lord is heavily dealing with John's heart for salvation and is beginning to nudge Ethan's heart. We marked one year of using natural medicine. We saw the Lord answer prayer by showing us why I've always had to have c-section births. We were blessed with the birth of Josiah. We saw the Lord bring him through a week-long hospitalization at 7 weeks old. My baby brother moved away from home *sniff* and we're all learning what it is to have a long distance family. And tons and tons more.

Do you want to be more for the Lord in 2010? We all do, of course. What would you like the Lord to do for your family? for you? for your church?

There are many things that I want to see happen in the upcoming year. It's not going to happen by chance. If we want to see God to do great things in 2010 we must ask Him for those things. By "things," I'm not necessarily meaning the tangible or material.

I'm not really a goal setter. I have learned that setting goals make a tremendous difference in how quickly and efficiently things are accomplished. This year I decided to make a 2010 goal list. You may think it's silly or even a bit corny. But here's my reasoning behind it: Year after year I have good intentions to do _________. Stick in that blank nearly anything. But in just a matter a weeks I find myself saying, "Oh yeah, I was going to do _________ this year." By keeping track of what you'd like the Lord to do, your goals won't become an after thought. Accomplishing more for the Lord in 2010 won't happen by happenstance.

Just a few of my 2010 goals are these:

  • See my children saved.
  • More fully devote myself to diligent, structured, Bible study and prayer
  • Work with my grocery budget to be able to afford more organic meat and animal products.
  • Prepare a daily home schedule and stick with it.
  • Set a reasonable time limit for computer and/or blogging. Then carefully monitor time spent on the computer and cumulative time spent on the computer to be sure that I am making the most of each day.
  • Pray more for my husband as he meets the daily stresses of being a small business owner, husband, father and youth director.
  • Use my blog to further uplift the name of Christ and to uplift the believer, and especially to edify the keeper at home.
These are a very very few of the goals I have listed. Under these goals I have how to go about seeing these things accomplished. For example "See my children saved." Under that, I have listed "Spend purposeful and earnest time in prayer for the children," "Be sure that God is at the center of everything that is done at home, school or play," "Provide a spiritual and Christ-centered environment," "Encourage the kids to pray and read their Bibles" and more. Yes, these are things that we already do, but to have them down on paper gives a sense of direction.

Maybe this wouldn't work for you. We're all made differently. I'm hoping that with a more focused sense of direction I'll be able to look back at 2010 and say it was the best year yet!

Happy 2010 to everyone!

0 edifying expressions: