Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pumpkin Oat Muffins

Oh, I bought a can of pumpkin to make a pumpkin roll. I only needed about 2/3 cup, and had tons left over. I searched out my recipe book and found these beauties!


Pumpkin Oat Muffins

  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c old fashion oats
  • 1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1/2 c honey
  • 1/3 c apple juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp old fashion oats, as garnish
Grease or line 12 muffin cups. Combine flour, 1/2 c oats, nuts, spices, leaveners, and salt in large mixing bowl. In medium mixing bowl, mix together pumpkin, honey, juice, eggs and oil. Add to flour mixture and mix until just blended. Do not overmix. It's okay to have small dry spots. Evenly divide among the muffin cups and garnish with remaining oats. Bake at 375 for 23-27 minutes. I always use whole spices when possible (and if I can afford them!) so for pumpkin pie spice you can use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground clove or allspice and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Or, if you're like me, go heavy on the nutmeg.

They are so good...and did you notice they are sugar free?

1 edifying expressions:

Kimberly said...

so funny, I made pumpkin muffins last night!