Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Making Your Own

Credit for inspiration here is due to Tami at A Godly Homemaker. This looked like fun. I am prefacing this with the disclaimer that I am by no means boasting. I am thankful to the Lord that He gives me the time, through scheduling and management, the desire and the wherewithal to learn how to make things on my own and therefore helping my home and our budget.

Things I can make that are typically bought pre-made or from a box:

  • yeast breads (loaf, roll, etc)
  • quick breads (biscuits, muffins, pancakes, etc)
  • cakes, pies
  • canned vegetables
  • canned salsa
  • pickles
  • frozen vegetables
  • seasonings (whole spices, toasted, then ground...nothing is yummier!)
  • chicken, beef and vegetable stocks
  • butchering chickens for meat
  • raising chickens for eggs
  • granola and granola bars
  • baby food
  • jelly, preserves
  • butter spreads (as in honey butter spread, herb butter)
  • sauces (rouxes, gravies, marinara, etc and I have down 4 of the 5 mother sauces (bechamel, hollandaise, espagnole, and vinagrette. I've not tried my hand at a veloute. If you want a recipe that calls for one of these sauces, they can be insanely expensive to buy, especially when you learn what they are and how easy they are to make!)
  • meat jerky
  • most of my household cleaners (equivalents to Clorox Cleanup, Windex, and the like)
  • laundry detergent
  • shampoo (sort of: The Shampoo Free Experiment)
  • clothing (excluding the boys' dress clothes...never tried anything like that, nor could I make them any cheaper than I can find them on sale)
  • girl's hair bows
  • home pasteurizing raw milk
  • drying flowers and other seed pods to save for the next planting season
Things that I would love to learn to make in the future:
  • honestly, my pie crust needs some work to make it great quality, so I'll list that one
  • toothpaste (for a fluoride-free alternative)
  • deodorant (for an aluminum-free alternative)
  • dishwasher detergent (as soon as I use up what I have, I'll be starting this one)
  • butter, cheese and buttermilk (if I had only saved the cream off of that raw milk...)
  • baby formula (been reading up on that one here lately)
  • soap (then I wouldn't have to spend a fortune on Ethan's specialty soaps)
  • drying herbs (we plant fresh herbs every spring and they die when winter comes. Why have I never thought to dry them for winter use?!)
  • fruit leather (gotta do something with those watermelons and cantaloupe we can't eat fast enough)
  • more tasty and satisfying vegetarian meals (a current work-in-progress)
  • I'd love to be able to identify medicinal herbs that grow around here and prepare them for use, but that may be a little too ambitious to learn all on my own. I don't want to kill anyone!
  • crochet/knit (I've tried crocheting and failed miserably)
  • make my own patterns for sewing clothes...although most of my patterns I don't spend 3 dollars for and then I trace them so that I can use every size in the package.
  • dried beans and peas (there's only so much room in the freezer you know)
  • dry corn and grind it into meal, grits or polenta, or whatever else I may need
  • candles would be fun, but I would only make them as a light source in emergencies. I kicked the scented candle habit. Lots of carcinogens there. Then I found Scentsy and one of my very dearest friends sells it.
  • pasta (although I do not have a pasta maker)
Probably so much more that I'd love to learn to do, but I'm stopping there.

Today's encouragement for me and the verse I claim as my "life verse":

Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me. -Psalm 119:133

7 edifying expressions:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You can save tons on hairbows by making them. One day when you have time, give me a call and I can show you how to make them. It is sooooo easy!

amber

Kristy... said...

Elizabeth,

There is a lady named Tammy, she is a friend of my sister in law.. she has a blog that she has done MANY of the things you have mentioned you would like to learn how, I have SEEN THE POSTS! If I werent sick, I would find them for you but, I feel my bed calling me for another 3 hour nap.. LOL
anyways here is her site, perhaps you have seen it before maybe not
http://www.tammysrecipes.com/

Sassy and Classy said...

I would love to come learn at your house! You have so much wisdom! I bet your food tastes fantastic.

Here is my dishwasher dteregent recipe. I have it on my blog also.

Mix equal parts of Baking soda and Borax. Add about 2 tablespoons to each load.

My dishwasher needs a little less. I usually just fill one of the dispensers.

Vinegar is a great alternative to Jet Dry.


Thank God for dirty dishes,
They have a tale to tell.
While other folks go hungry,
We’re eating very well.
With home and health and happiness,
We surely shouldn’t fuss.
For by this stack of evidence,
God’s been good to us.

Tami said...

my hubby can make pasta but i haven't tried yet.
since you have chickens can you help me? i want 8 for eggs only. i have a tool shed to make into a coop but all i see online are expensive things to do. help?

Elizabeth said...

Amber,
Thanks! Still praying for Olivia.

Kristy,
I'll be sure to check that one about. I hope you feel better soon. Don't you know that we moms can't get sick?!

Sassy,
Hey! Long time since I've seen you around. I promise, nearly all that I've learned has been through the internet and trial-and-error. And I think my food is pretty yummy...guess that's why I post so many recipes! ha! Thanks for the dishwasher hints.

Tami,
I'll shoot you an email. I tend to get long-winded! lol

Elizabeth said...

Tami,
you may want to check your spam/junk mail folder because my emails seems to be filtered out a lot.

Lori said...

Elizabeth, I understand what you said about the pie crust. I have one listed on my recipe site under "this and that"

Thinking about pies...I think I'll make a pecan pie tomorrow.