Saturday, April 3, 2010

Neatloaf - the Meatless Loaf!

If you've been reading this blog since the beginning of the year, you know that we've been trying to use meat less frequently. We're doing it for health purposes; we're not going 100% veg or anything. :-) I stumbled upon this recipe for a meatless "meatloaf" a few days ago and put it to the test with my family last night. I was really worried about it as I was preparing it because it looked so disgusting. I even told my husband, "Well, I guess there's sandwiches if it's gross." I'm glad looks are deceiving. Go into it not expecting it to be meatloaf and you'll love it. My family devoured it. My seven month old devoured it and I could feel good about giving it to him.

Neatloaf

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix (use approx. 2/3 of the envelope, more or less to taste)
  • 1/3 lb (5.3 oz.)part skim Ricotta cheese
  • 1/3 lb (5.3 oz.) firm tofu, drained and crushed into pieces
  • 1/4 vegetable oil
  • 1/3 c onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c cooked brown rice
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 1 1/2 tsp fresh)
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil (or 1 1/2 tsp fresh)
  • 1/4 tsp dried rosemary (or 3/4 tsp fresh)
  • 4 cups (approx 4 oz.) Original Special K cereal
  • 1 1/2 tbsp garlic, chopped (I used 5 medium cloves)
Neatloaf Sauce
  • 1/2 c ketchup
  • 1/8 c dijon mustard
  • 1/4 c molasses
  • 1/8 c apple cider vinegar
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 300
  2. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl. Add all ingredients except cereal and sauce ingredients.
  3. Fold in cereal.
  4. Press into loaf pan prepared with non-stick spray
  5. Bake for 1 hour
  6. Prepare sauce and spoon over loaf after 1 hour. Bake 10 minutes more.
My personal experience was that even though I had a well sprayed pan, it still stuck pretty badly. Next time I make it I'm going to try to spray the loaf pan, press in the mixture, then turn it out onto a baking sheet or casserole dish. Essentially, I'd be using the loaf pan as a form only.



Here's what was left of our "neat" supper. As I look at the Bumbo in the background I think that we're just not even going to use a high chair with this baby. We're getting along just fine without it, and he'll soon be able to sit in a booster anyway.

So, I entered the ingredients to find the nutrition facts for neatloaf. Here are some of the positives:

1 loaf = 12 servings
calories - 165
fat - 8g
cholesterol - 75 mg
potassium - 183 mg
protein 6.7 g (remember that soybeans are a complete protein and are better absorbed than meat derived protein)
vit B12 - 37% daily value
manganese - 26% daily value
iron - 15%dv
selenium - 23%dv
thiamin - 17%dv

2 edifying expressions:

Sarah said...

I does sound very interesting Elizabeth! I'm glad you tried it out and enjoyed it! Its great that your children liked it also...it is a blessing to have children with healthy appetities!

Thank you for sharing your recipe.

God Bless

Tammy said...

This sounds like something I would like to try. I would have to omit the Lipton soup mix, though, and throw in something else. Interesting way to go meatless, Elizabeth! Can't argue when the critics devour it. :o)