Saturday, May 22, 2010

Garden...Again

I know that it seems every single season I post our progress on the garden. I hope you don't get tired of it because it seems like I post the same pictures season after season. But I am surprised at how the Lord blesses our garden. Seems like we have such abundance year after year. Jeremy and I have been praying about giving our garden a Sabbath year (referred in Judaism as "Shmita") If you follow the natural medicine thing like we do, you know that our soil has been grossly depleted of nutrients. I think that this results from year after year of planting with no Sabbatical. So anyway...


We'll start with the cucumbers. This year we planted cukes good for pickling. You can still eat them and they taste good and all, but they just don't grow quite as big, I think. Here I have 5 in the shot. See them all?


The corn is also staring to fill out. Some of the tassels are well over my head. Here are two ears, but they won't be ready until June.


This little visitor likes corn too!


We planted 4 rows of corn. We plant 2 rows, wait a month, then plant the other two. We couldn't get it all put up if we planted all 4, so we space them out a bit.


We've already picked some of these snap beans, but it's time to pick again. Seems like you pretty much have to pick every 3-4 days. We've never planted this variety before, and wow, are they good!!


Last spring garden we lost our squash to borer weevils. We only got about 1 good mess of squash before all the plants died. We're hoping that we are able to make some squash relish this year (my absolute favorite recipe I've ever received. I got it from my father-in-law's mom...scrumptious!) since we opened our last jar a few weeks ago.


Hooray for pollination!


Zucchini has to be picked nearly every day. We have half a row of this stuff and we could probably have plenty with just 3 plants. It grows like crazy!


Peas are not ready yet, but hopefully it won't be long.


This tomato bush looks more like a tomato tree. We haven't picked off it yet, but it won't be long til we're canning and freezing until we're begging for fall!


Moving right along, our green bell pepper are loaded down. Last year we seeded, stemmed, julienned, and froze them. It worked marvelously for cooked dishes and saved tons of money! Every year we try planting yellow bell and red bell and they always die! Green bell pepper are expensive, but red, yellow and orange bells are out of sight!


A loaded jalapeño plant. Last year we made some pickled jalapeño rings and they were, I do not exaggerate, the BEST I have ever eaten in my life, hands down.


A few baby cantaloupe!


The tops of our potatoes. These were a dreadful disappointment this year. Each plant only has 1-2 potatoes on it. Typically it would have 8-10. Oh well, there's always next year.


This year we also are trying to grow onions ... or maybe this is garlic. I keep asking Jeremy and he patiently tells me and I forget.


We're also giving garlic a go ... or maybe this is onions. Who knows.


Huzzah for gardening!!

1 edifying expressions:

Kimberly said...

Your garden is amazing! You'd laugh if I posted pics of ours in it's present state. Everything is still just in the start stage. I don't know what I do if I lived in an area with such a long growing season! Our bounty, {if God so blesses us} won't even begin until July.