Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wrapping Up Summer

Has it really been 15 days since my last post? Wow! Trust me, it's not been idle time! I mentioned the fever in my last post. The miserable mess drug on for 5 days, ranging from 100 to a whopping 104. It finally broke, I think on Thursday (the 8th). Friday I was still weak and shaky, but had to get out because Vacation Bible School was the next week (the 12th-16th). I got to teach the 7 and 8 year olds and had done NOTHING to prepare. All the other teachers had lovely decorated rooms which matched the theme of Bible school. But not me, noooooo... I didn't even have anything. And my luck would have it that I couldn't even find much. It took me a few days of scouring a few local towns. Well, I say local, nothing here is really too local. When I say local, I mean within 20 to 30 miles. I finally collected enough materials to decorate room by Monday (the day of Bible school) and was pretty much out of time to do the decorating. Well, blessings would have it that a missionary family was staying with us through Bible school. The three oldest children of the family offered to help me decorate. They had great ideas and we pretty much had it finished within a few hours! It wouldn't have gotten done without their help!

Vacation Bible School was a blast, as it always is. I had anywhere from 13-16 seven and eight year olds with me. I didn't have any major catastrophes. I guess I sort of did. I guess I'd just been so worn down from going wide open for the past month (pre-camp organization, youth camp, horrible fever, pre-VBS organization, VBS) that I started with yet another fever on Wednesday of VBS. So, thank the good Lord that my friend Holly taught my class Wednesday and Thursday. I was there Thursday, but I didn't know if I'd be well or not, so my husband asked her to be prepared. Friday I was back in gear to wrap it up.

I know I'm partial, thinking our church is the best at everything, but we really went all out for VBS, as we do every year. We prepare supper for all VBS students and workers each night. The activities were really fun! The crafts were so cute. And honestly, nothing is better than just spending time labouring for the Lord together with fellow believers. For Friday night the church rents 2 "bounce houses", a dunking booth, a cotton candy machine, and a snow cone machine. After Bible lesson, they have a blast out there. Seems like they always come home sticky, wet, exhausted, coming down off a sugar rush, and HAPPY!!

If you looked at my time stamp, you may be wondering why I'm not at church. Lydia has contracted some sort of stomach illness and spent all last night vomiting, poor dear. As I look back I haven't been completely MIA from church activities, but I have missed 5 Sunday/Wednesday services in the past 3 1/2 weeks. I told my husband as he was leaving this morning, "I feel like I haven't been to church in forever!" He raises an eyebrow and says, "You've been at church all week." And yes, I've been at church, but not being there for a worship service just feels unsettling.

I also have to mention that I know that I've really slacked on the pictures as of late. I've really not had the camera out. I didn't take it to camp. I don't have a cheap camera and wasn't even considering taking our nice one. Here is the only picture I took at camp, which I took with my iPhone. Here are the girls waiting for evening chapel to start. The girls are on the front row and the boys (who were more camera shy) on the back.

We had 3 other girls and 1 boy register for camp who weren't able to attend. The boy couldn't get out of work. One girl had wrist surgery, one enrolled in college for the summer and PCC wouldn't let her leave the camp to go to class, which is understandable. The third had a previous obligation the week of camp. I always am bragging on these girls, but they deserve it! Two of them volunteered to do dorm devotion, which was a blessing to me. They are hard workers too! Most of them had a hand in teaching VBS this week as a helper. It's been great watching the older ones grow and mature, learn to take initiative and to be responsible in the things of the church.

Oh, I posted last that I injured my knee at camp. It's been almost 3 weeks and I still have a lot of pain, although the sharp, stabbing pain happens only on seldom occasion. I've been taking an enzyme product by Enzymedica called Repair, which has helped a lot!! It has been said that I sprain is harder to recover from than a break. I still have a very long way to go before I even have half of my strength and mobility in it. Even walking is a struggle. I sincerely ask for lots of prayer. I really, really need it!

Our garden is all finished too. We didn't get much out of it after June. It gets so hot that the plants can't take the heat. We really were abundantly blessed this year with the garden. The deep freezer is filled to the top!

Our target date to start school is always the first Tuesday of August. Our school week runs from Tuesday to Saturday, which is my husband's work week. I am about 70% prepared for the first day of school. Isn't it hard to believe that summer activities are wrapping up? Summer heat won't be finished here until mid-October!

1 edifying expressions:

Kristy... said...

HEY .... good to see ya!

I have missed your posts.
Glad you are feeling better.
I was out of church for various things the past couple months, sickness , vacation. PINK EYE *my sons* and I told my Pastors wife that its insane, its not even "cold and flu season yet" Such is life with little ones I suppose. BUT, doesnt make me like it :)
Looking forward to pics of the kiddos, Ill bet that Josiah is getting HUGE.. I cant believe our babies are ONE.. well mine is, I just know yours isnt too far behind :( It goes by TOO FAST.