Friday, August 13, 2010

The Foolishness of Preaching

A curious thing, isn't it: that God said through the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. As I was reading my Bible this morning I was lead to meditate on this passage:

1 Corinthians 1:18-29.
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.

As I was reflecting on this passage I was thanking the Lord for preaching. I understand and appreciate that no two preachers preach alike: soft-spoken preachers, ones that shout to the top of their lungs for an hour and a half, preachers who run, ones who stay behind the pulpit, ones who jest, ones who are serious and all points in between. We all have our preferences because we all have different personalities.

Our church has been holding revival meetings this week and it has been so good. It's just been one of those weeks that the Lord has known just what I need. The preaching has been right on target. I have been fed from God, have been shown things from the Lord, and by His strength I can go on and be more for the Lord.

I just want to thank God for this week and thank him for the PREACHING of God's Word. I love, love preaching.

And just in case you're wondering what kind of preaching I like... ;)

  • I like preaching LOUD!
  • I like preaching LONG! I love for a service to last 3 hours or more (and I mean with one man preaching).
  • I like it when the Holy Ghost gets in a service and there's shouting from the congregation.
  • I like it when preachers walk/run the aisles and climb pews.
  • I like it when a preachers comes to the pulpit and says, "I got up this morning and, although I've spend days praying and studying, didn't know what to preach."
  • I like it when a preacher doesn't preach until the Holy Ghost gives him direction on what to preach.
  • I like for a preacher to tell me what a low-down, dirty, rotten sinner I am because I know that in me dwelleth no good thing. (yeah, that says "no" as in no...as in nothing...as in even when I'm "good" I fall short)
  • I like to be told that God has a standard of holiness and he expects us to do all we can to meet it.
  • I like to be reminded just how sweet heaven will be and that it will not be a quiet place.
  • I like old-fashioned, Holy Ghost preaching. I could not and would not be in a church where everything was scripted.
  • I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for these men who think they know all there is to know about God and always have an answer for everything. I like simple preaching about a simple gospel from a simple man for a simple people.
Here's a short YouTube that I found of the evangelist that's preaching this week. In this video he's singing a solo in his home church ... and a little preach got into the mix. I sure love this video!

3 edifying expressions:

Kristy... said...

OH I just love the song he sang!!!! Its a fav of mine!

Oh, and I Have to say AMEN to every point you made :D I love me some good preaching. We have a revival every spring and fall with Bro. Aubrey Brown and, that man spits and sputters, yells and screams and, I LOVE IT! :)
Thanks for sharing the link

char said...

Amen and Amen!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE some good preachin!! Our Preacher has been known to climb on the pews, spit a little and get all red in the face! I don't know how any one can sit under that kinda straight from the Bible preaching and not be changed. Our revival is coming up in Oct. Yall should come! (I understand it will just be about a days drive for ya to get to Ok. but that shouldn't be a problem, right?! ☺

Britney Harper said...

Hey Elizabeth, so sorry I couldn't make it. After Natalee got over the fever, I got sick. Ethan also got it and had it until late Saturday night. See you soon!