Wednesday, September 22, 2010

So Why Does Your Family Homeschool Anyway? (pt 2)

Typically people would say that our family is not "in the ministry," not in "full-time Christian service," etc. There is no ministry on God's earth quite like the ministry of family. This gets to the heart of the problem with family. By most people, family is not viewed as a ministry, but family fits every definition of a ministry if you contain it to the family and not to the realm of the church, i.e. the pastorate, the mission field, etc. Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary defines ministry firstly as "the office, duties or functions of a subordinate agent of any kind." As a subordinate to Christ, a man performs the duties of a father. Subordinate's definition is secondly defined as "descending in a regular series." As wife and mother, I stand subordinate but not inferior to my husband, supporting him and our ministry together. The children then are subordinate to us and together we labor for the cause of Christ to bring others into the fold of God. This is the first, the very first, ministry given to man: family.

Where does homeschool fit into the family plan? Homeschool is 100% family-centric. There is no rearranging the family's time to fit into putting kids on the bus, taking them to school, attending a PTA meeting, open house, fundraisers, receiving them from the bus, etc. In our homeschool our school week conforms to dad's work schedule. His work week is from Tuesday to Saturday. If they attended a traditional school setting, they would only be able to spend any length of time with their father on Sunday. I could also see how this would hinder our family from attending church services. After all, the only time we all had a "day off" together was Sunday. What I love about being a homeschool family is that I feel like we have the liberty to do exactly what we feel like needs to be done.

Homeschool is more family-centric than just fitting into a schedule. I love that we get the chance to fulfill Deuteronomy 6:6

And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

"Teach them diligently unto thy children" The word "diligently" here means to whet or sharpen. It also means provoke, as is in Hebrews 10:24

And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Homeschool gives your child the best opportunity to grow up to be a Godly adult. How? It is said in scripture. Children are not to be simply taught, but diligently taught. Every person is always being taught by someone, whether that person is a school teacher, a friend, peer or whomever. It is not enough for me to rear children who just believe in God, just go to church, to read the Bible here and there. No, I want to do everything to give my children the best chance to grow up to be truly Godly, sold-out, surrendered, steadfast, separated and wholehearted. I want them to be all they can be. I believe that it is possible for kids to go astray after being raised in a good home. If my kids grow up and go astray I want my conscience to be clear that I did all that I could to place them in a Godly environment. I want sin to be foreign to them. I want them to fear unrighteousness.

I hear a preacher once say this and I believe it with all my heart:

Exposure brings acceptance.

2 edifying expressions:

Kristy... said...

Elizabeth,

I always so enjoy reading your posts.. I also almost always agree *that makes it a bit easier doesnt it? :P *

Great post!

Miss Mandy said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I really enjoyed this post. In my liberal state, there are a lot of negative feelings towards homeschoolers. We've enjoyed it & the kids are absolutely more solid in their relationship with Christ.