Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Stuff

My brother asked me to post photos of my Christmas tree. So here goes. :-D



I left the resolution sort of big so that you can click and maybe see it a bit better. We definitely have the traditional style tree. There is no theme, no particular color. It would be ostracized by interior decorators and you won't see it in a department store. It has mismatched ornaments, multicolor lights, the kids' ornaments they've made over the years, and anything on it that the kids dub worthy and beautiful. Our tree is decorated with love and memories. Nearly all of our ornaments are given to us. My mother also buys each child a new ornament each year to hang on the tree.

Some of my favorite ornaments:

My mother-in-law took a trip to tour New York City in 2000. She purchased this ornament in the World Trade Center gift shop.


Before I was married I worked in a bank. I had probably 25 co-workers. We went out to dinner one night for Christmas and exchanged gifts of Christmas ornaments. This is one that I loved I received one Christmas. The giver was a resident of Gulf Breeze, FL, which was the home of "UFO sightings" in the late 80's and early 90's. It's neat to have an ornament with a story!


This one is sort of self explanatory. It was given to us by my husband's aunt. I think she bought it at a craft show for us. It's very personalized as I have blond hair and my husband has brown.


We bought this ornament on our honeymoon when we visited Rock City Gardens. We did NOT buy it last November (just to clarify :P).


These are gifted from some of the teenagers. My husband bleeds crimson and white!

Another bit of memories...this is Lydia's third Christmas and it is the third Christmas that I have caught her under the tree plucking off candy canes and eating them. She hasn't learned yet, I guess.

I love the glittery glistening effect from icicles. I put them on very delicately, placing them one or two at the time and letting equal amounts fall on either side of the branch I'm placing it on. Well, the bottom 18 inches of tree have no icicles because Josiah loves them and has plucked them all off. :-) haha!



Here's another hub of fun times. It's complete with music for the children to play. The hymnals are under the piano on a shelf. It also includes our nativity. The wise men are purposely NOT included here since they didn't come to the stable!!! *smacking forehead* I also don't display the "angel" since it is not a Scriptural angel.

~~~~~~


Just another reason why homeschool is so cool: little brother (still in his pajamas) can climb in your chair and try to shake things up! We are enjoying our 3 week furlough from school. We'll be back in action Tuesday, January 4, 2011. It's providing me with time to finish up these Christmas details and with time to make more memories and family traditions. Having the time off will also allow me to be able to put together some goodies for my brother and sister-in-law who will be able to come home (his home, at least) for Christmas.

4 edifying expressions:

Kimberly said...

Your home is decorated just lovely!! I love that last pic- Tuesdays are like that at our house with our visitor- you have to admit that it is sweet that the little ones want to be right in the middle of what's going on!!!

Twinkle Toes said...

Love your tree! Mine has a similar look! Including binkies my 2 yr old thought would look good on the tree!

Your homeschool setting looks familiar too! My 7 yr old is frequently found doing school while holding the baby! Love it! Learning mothering skills (multi-tasking) and doing school work at the same time!

Merry Christmas!

Kristy... said...

what a beautiful tree you have! Ours is traditional too only this year... its only REALLY decorated from about 3/4 of the way down to the top.. as Abby likes to get the ornaments off.. SOME THINGS.. are just worth getting in trouble for ;)
once she takes one down, I put it higher and, so, the bottom half is empty... LOL
My mom LOVES the See ROck City bird houses... she always has one.. in fact, she is in need of a new one as one of hers broke *She has one at home and at her property* its a fond childhood memory for her...
Great pics... been missing blogging, hoping to get back into it SOON.

Sarah said...

I love your tree Elizabeth - Ours also looks similar! Although I am surprised to see that as yet, we haven't had any candy canes go missing!

Your comment about the three wise men made me chuckle! I have been saying the same thing...but my husband still wants them there!

Glad you are all keeping well and are looking forward to Christmas time!