Saturday, March 12, 2011

Random Little Thoughts

My blogging has become sparse as of late. What's been on my mind has been issues of privacy. Let me explain.

I wondered about trying to find an old friend of mine. I had one particular friend in middle school and high school who was very dear to me. She was almost more like a sister than a friend. We got along so well. In the 6 years that we knew each other, we never once fought. We had everything in common. I still thing about this friend very often, although I haven't seen her in about 13 years.

I got the crazy notion in the early part of the week, "You can find anything on the Internet. I wonder if I can find her phone number." After digging for only about 20 minutes I found her phone number, address complete with a map to her house, husband's name, children's names, occupation, level of education and other information.

Let that sink in a minute... I find it down right SCARY. I'm, of course, not going to use any of this info for anything bad. I probably won't even get the nerve to call her up. But it's really given me a look at what it means to live in a world where the Internet stores EVERYTHING and compiles it into a searchable database.

I am at a crossroads. Part of me wants to delete the blog, or at the least protect it. Part of me wonders if that would be overreacting. Maybe I should give all my kids and myself aliases, but it would take a lot of work. I guess the short of it is that I just really don't know what to do.

~~~~~~

On a lighter note, I had the cutest thing happen to me yesterday. My little Josiah comes into my bedroom where I am making my bed. He is grinning from ear to ear, so proud of himself. He has in hand my coffee cup, half full of of cold coffee. The cup was dripping from the sides and coffee had sloshed onto his pajamas. My first thought was "oh no no no no! No messes." He was so proud though to have thought to bring Mommy her coffee. Surely Mommy would be so happy! He lifted the coffee cup up to me and I pretended to take a big gulp (it was cold after all). "Oh thanks 'Siah! Mommy loves coffee." He clapped his hands together and giggled and happily walked out of my room. I took the coffee cup to the sink, got a towel, and cleaned up the trail of coffee splashes on the floor.

That's the stuff memories are made out of.

5 edifying expressions:

Sarah said...

How sweet of your son to bring you your coffee! Little kids always love being helpful don't they!

Thank you for your comment on the Unschooling post Elizabeth...its nice to know that I'm not on my own ;)

I can totally understand your point about internet privacy, especially with so many undesirable people out there. I guess you and your husband will have to make the best decision for your own family.

God Bless

Rashel said...

Oh, that is so sweet!! I understand about privacy. That is why my children's faces aren't on my blog or their names. You also won't find my last name and the name I use, is an alias. Dh told me when I started a blog those were the rules for safety. God will lead you to what you need to do for your family.
Blessings,
Rashel

Kristy... said...

Hi there! I have been missing awhile. but, I am back and its good to see you!!!

I hear you about the internet. I often get nervous about it. IN FACT ... we did have someone we woulnt want to contact us, contact us having got our info offline.
BUT in the end I always think about how I have Gods protection. My neighbor across the street could be a physcho and he knows where I live and all my habits...
whatever you decide... I understand. I will miss you if you delete your blog.
Our little ones grew up before we could catch a breath huh?? what a sweet little gesture from your little man!!!

Anonymous said...

I understand your concern about blogging and privacy. But, unfortuantely if a Social Security number is used at all for anyone in the family, they gov't knows where you are and what you are doing. Ending all computer use may be an option, but it is 2011 and don't know if that would/could be an option. We'll need to trust and rely on God for his protection; in computer use and day to day living.
Enjoy your blog.
God Bless.

Aliene said...

Hi Elisabeth, That little mess with
Josiah and the coffee is previous.

As for privacy ~ deleting your blog will not help. We are all in the system anyway. But you will have to do what is best for you. I would really miss you. Have a blessed week end!