Friday, July 1, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook - July 1, 2011

What do you do when you know it's been almost a month since your last post, but you've had so much going on that you don't know where to start? Make a Daybook entry, of course!!


FOR TODAY - July 1, 2011


Outside my window...
hot, hot and humid. Fortunately, not as hot as it was last week. There has been some slight break in drought, which is a blessing beyond words.

I am thinking...
of how blessed I am in simple things. I got a text last night requesting prayer for a 22 year old woman who was dying and leaving behind a 2-year-old. This week also Katerina requested prayer for a family who lost their 10-month-old and also, the ongoing need of prayer for Logan Watts, the little boy who fell from a tire swing and was severely brain damaged. Thank God the only "crises" I've had today are bickering over a toy and skint elbows.

I am thankful for...
a God who is our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble.

From the learning rooms...
we are hoping to begin this school year within the next few weeks. It just makes sense for us: the kids are mostly indoors due to the heat and are rowdy. Also, we'll be able to take a nice furlough from studies in September when our new baby arrives.

From the kitchen...
some bread! I have not made bread since Josiah was born because I only had one loaf pan. This meant that I was needing a loaf of bread every day or two. Now I have 4 of the same pan and can make several at once! I also want to make my favorite granola bar recipe. It's a food network recipe by Alton Brown which only has 4 stars on the website. These people who say theirs turned out wrong must be meatheaded; I've made this recipe a zillion times and they are perfectly delicious without fail.

I am wearing...
a white knit pullover with colorful daisies and a denim skirt. Oh maternity clothes, how I do NOT love thee.

I am creating...
I did some sewing projects before we took the teens to youth camp. Now I'm down to needing to do some mending: the boring stuff.

I am going...
perhaps to the grocery store tonight. My brother and sister-in-law who live in Gainesville is home for the weekend. I typically do the grocery shopping every other Saturday or Monday and I'd rather have these times open for visiting. :-)

I am reading...
A Love That Multiplies by Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar (my gift from Sarah). I was reading Created to Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl until the Duggars' book came in. I'm also reading various selections from the New Testament epistles and the book of Joshua in my Bible.

I am hoping (praying)...
for more rain!! I can't emphasize how dry it is here. Although Texas is getting the headlines now, and rightfully so, we too are in a D4 (exceptional) drought. It hits hard when your livelihood depends on people cutting grass. :-)

I am hearing...
Lydia who is by me, coloring on the dry erase board. She is telling me every detail about her artwork as I type.

Around the house...
there are so many more projects I want to finish before summer's end. Although we have made a lot of progress, I want to clean all the cabinets with Murphy's Oil Soap. Then there is always garden goodies to put away.

One of my favorite things...
is listening to my daughter talk. She comes up with some of the craziest things!

A picture thought I am sharing...

The artwork afore mentioned.



And the stories that go with the artwork!

4 edifying expressions:

Sarah said...

Yay, thank you for the update! I have been thinking of your family quite a bit this week! Lovely photograph of your budding artist!

We too, are experiencing very dry weather at the moment...though we had a lot of rain last week it wasn't anywhere near enough.

I love making bread too! We bought our son a tiny loaf pan just this week, and he was so excited to make his very own tiny loaf!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Taryn said...

I just finished reading 2 books I ordered through rainbowresource.com. One is McGuffey and His Readers($2.50) and the other is a fiction 100-page novel-The Autobiography of an Ex-colored Man by James Weldon Johnson(I didn't know that Alexander Dumas-Count of Monte Cristo- was Haitian and French-page 21) that was $2.05. I would recommend reading the novel with Booker T. Washington's autobiography. I ordered mine at Abeka. I don't read the Pearl's books after reading articles about them at libertytothecaptives.net(I have Lisa Ruby's great book-God's Wrath on Left Behind). Be careful of GLASS loaf pans,etc.-Consumer Reports did an investigation of them.

Bobbin Aubins said...

Such a sweet uplifting post!
Thank you for praying for my friend. God is good and will see them through and I know that prayer works in mighty ways.

Taryn said...

According to this book-McGuffey and His Readers, there are a few editions of the McGuffey Readers. The originals(about 1836) have more Bible,etc. and the later ones were changed without his permission. From reading at homeschoolreviews, it seems that Landmark uses the later editions for some reason. I think keepersofthefaith.com uses the originals. That would explain why the two curriculums use the first McGuffey,etc. for different grade levels. keepersofthefaith.com(great articles/book reviews) uses McGuffey's First Reader for grades 3 and 4.