Sunday, January 22, 2012

Homefront Happenings

I had sat down a few times to make a post-Christmas post and ended up getting distracted with everything else on the Internet. So, here I am now over a month from the last post. :-) Everyone here is still alive and (mostly) well. We had a stomach virus around Christmastime. Yuck. And now some of the little ones have it again, about 4 weeks later. What a drag. No one likes cleaning up stomach virus aftermath, but in the end I should be, and am, thankful that they are seldom sick.

We enjoyed our long, three-week Christmas break and are now getting back into the homeschool groove...or trying to. I don't there actually is a groove when you homeschool more than a few kids. We have a routine. We have a daily schedule...sort of a target for the day. But when you are teaching three grade levels with a toddler underfoot and a nursling, there is no such thing as a "normal" day.

Over the past several weeks, Josiah's communication skills have really blossomed. In other words he has become a regular jabber jaws. When he turned two in August, he could communicate but said few words and never used more than one or two word sentences. He was beginning to try to communicate better toward the end of November. Fast forward to today, he is using wordy sentences to tell everything from food, drink, and clothing preferences to tattling on his siblings. In other Josiah related stuff, I don't think I've ever mentioned the adorable cleft chin he has! See?


You know it'll be a great day when big brother takes you out to play.


Little miss Lydia is completely loving the Easy Bake Oven we got her for Christmas. She thinks that she is so awesome when working with it...like a gourmet chef. It's so hard to believe that she is going to be five in a few short weeks. Here are her and Daddy baking some cookies together. Isn't she precious?!


Birthday cake ... I was sort of hoping that she would pick this as a birthday cake.


Looks difficult, yeah? Well, it's not! I got the idea from one of my new favorite stops on the web, Howdini.com. Watch the video tutorial for the flip flop cake here, if you want to try it. Promise, if I can make this crafty cake anyone can make it! So much for my bright ideas because she chose a Hello Kitty party themed party instead. The flip flop cake would have been so adorable.

Speaking of adorable. Have a look at this cutie!



He is now a whopping 4 months old and tips the scales at 16 pounds. What a sweet baby he is. Funny thing is that no matter how many times I kiss him, he never seems to run out of kisses!



He completely loves this little book which was a Christmas gift from Uncle Daniel and Aunt Julie (my brother and sister-in-law).


"If I could just get it in my mouth..."

I really love this photo. It's like they're deep in conversation, weighing heavy matters in the balance...like what to have for snack or how best to build the latest Lego creation.






My "Daniel Boone."

(Please do not send irritating comments condemning us for allowing him to have a hand pump BB gun. The eight year old boy has killed a total of 5 deer and countless birds and squirrels and is quite a marksman for his age. He is not left alone with a loaded firearm. duh...)


There's always time for a game or two or three or four or... of Perplexus.

4 edifying expressions:

Kristy... said...

LOVE the photos! they are getting big and the baby is SO cute.

I think it is great he has a gun! ;) no negative comments here!!!!! and I love his outfit to boot!

nice "seeing" ya!

Twinkle Toes said...

Gasp, horror! I can't believe you let an 8 year old have a BB gun! ;) I of course, only let my boys "play" with their guns in the back yard. But they "only" have a pellet gun and a .22 :D They can't wait to go hunting for the first time ever with their grandpa this hunting season!

It was good to get an update! I've been wondering how you were all doing! :D

Sarah said...

LOVED this update! Mr Noah is getting so big! I also couldn't believe that it really was Josiah in the photo! He also is growing up so fast!

Lovely photos and I'm so glad that you all had a wonderful Christmas!

Aliene said...

What lovely children. Good to hear from you again. Seems quite a few are not blogging as much. The baby has really grown in a hurry. Enjoy the children while they are little.
They grow too fast and are gone before you know it. Blessings dear friend.