Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reinventing Everything

It seems to me that today, people are doing just that. Taking every great and nifty invention and making it better. Here are one of those new-and-improved items that we love in our house.

I have had toddlers. Three to be exact.

I have a toddler.

I will have a toddler soon.

Most people can claim at least one of these statements. All of the above statements are true for me all at the same time...which is great! Along with having a toddler always comes potty training. Here is an example of our typical and more classic toddler potty seat that we have always used.


Yes, I suppose that this one gets the job done. I always hated this seat though. Pee gets everywhere with this seat. And in a matter of a few months they start to stink. And you sure can't clean them. So my sister-in-law, who is great at finding all things practical, discovers this little gem that we now have in all our bathrooms.

Big deal. It's a toilet.


Open the lid and ... hey, what is that under there?


Look! A built-in toddler seat!

Closer examination shows that the toddler seat is held into the adult seat by a magnet. Also, you'd see a slow-close lid. One of my toddlers would drop the lid when they got "done." WHAM!!!! every single time.

The toddler seat pops off for easier cleaning or for when you don't have a toddler anymore. (Could take us a while to get to that point)

And the whole seat just clips off for easy cleaning!



Anyway, the only con to this seat, in my opinion, is that there is no "boy-flap." Oh, don't pretend like you're all confused. Anyway, Josiah (a sitter, for now) has been taught to aim downward, if you get my drift. It wasn't too difficult.

Interested? It's a Bemis NextSteps toddler toilet seat. Here is one similar on Amazon, but I don't think it has the slow-close feature.

~~~~~~


Would you like to see some more of the ideas I've implemented from Pintrest? Ah, sure you do!

Remember a while back I shared the ice cube tray sorter for earring and bracelets? This is for helping more of my jewelry overflow.

Homemade necklace hangar.


Couldn't stop with just one!

The how-to on this was pretty simple. The hooks are shiny brass hooks from the hardware store. The wooden frames were $2 a piece from Dollar General. The "art" is doilies I bought from Etsy for $3 each and the denim background was scrap saved from an old sewing project. I actually originally saw this project done with a 11x13 frame in distressed wood and the hooks were several different and unique cabinet pulls. I didn't want to put that much money into it. haha

Part two...

Here we have the inside of one of my cabinets. The same brass hooks are screwed into a piece of scrap 1x2 from the hardware store where we got the hooks. (they even gave it to us for free). Oh, and the index cards are of Bill Gothard's Operational Definitions of Character Qualities And while I think that not all of Bill Gothard's material is spot-on, I think a lot of it is very useful. Most of the character quality definitions are great. Not all of them are.

Seems like 2012 is the year that everyone has chosen to get organized. Maybe that's true for me also.

3 edifying expressions:

Sarah said...

Haha! This made me giggle...especially the "boy-flap" part!

In all honesty though we have only ever used the trainer seat as first pictured. I have never had a problem with it.

So glad that you found a prouct that works for you. And so glad that you were willing to share it. As I have benefiteed so much from other Bloggers sharing their GREAT ideas! :)

Sarah said...

Oh dear, I tried leaving a LONG comment and now because I couldn't prove "I'm not a robot" my comment was deleted. Gosh those word verifications have sure gotten difficult over the last day! :(

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth! Haha!

Elizabeth said...

Hey Sarah! On top of all the trouble you had leaving a comment, it lied also to you because your first comment wasn't deleted! haha crazy robot disprover. I hate them, but I hate getting spam comments even more.