One post a month is the norm these days I suppose. :-/ My apologies for that.
I started off by writing "things have been 'status quo' on the home front." As I reflected upon the past month, really the opposite is true. Let's catchup on everything...
- The biggest news was that as we have had very little cold weather, the pollen came in with a bang, sending everyone into allergy mayhem. Ethan, my little allergy-induced asthma patient, had a very very acute attack and ended up hospitalized for about 36 hours. He went from having barely puffy eyes to having a respiratory rate of 42 breaths per minute in about 12 hours. He is doing much better now, but we have never every had an attack like that before!
- Today Noah is 6 months old. He finally started sitting up. Cute, cute.
- We are not new to the homemade baby food scene, but I have tried something different this time. Homemade baby cereal! It is so easy and cheap. However, what's funny is that the first time I made it I ground up the brown rice, added water...and didn't cook it. LOL Silly me. I was thinking that since the sto re-bought stuff doesn't need cooking, mine wouldn't either. Poor baby. The mess had the texture of sand. Got it all worked out now and he LOOOOOVES it! Yay!
- Lydia turned 5 at the beginning of February. I am excited because she's always been very ... ummm ... spacy. I promise, the girl lives in her own little world. Lately though, she has come out of the clouds a little bit.
- John turned 9 three weeks after Lydia's birthday. He's getting into t hat in-between stage: not quite a kid and not quite an adult.
- I made both Lydia's and John's birthday cakes. Lydia wanted Hello Kitty. John wanted a very plain ice cream layer cake. I was able to talk him into a few icing decorations.
- We began Christian Apologia Astronomy recently too. Love, love it. Soooo fun. We have a "solar system" hanging from the ceiling of the school house we're working on.
- John was not impressed by the reigniting candles on his birthday cake.
- My husband and I are working on shedding a few pounds. My husband is so amazing. He has lost almost 40 pounds in just 8 weeks. Sadly, I have only lost 13. The plus side is that I feel better and have gained a lot of tone. I've been doing a lot of body weight resistance.
- Our green beans have begun to sprout!!
- I love the variety of green beans we have been planting. Unfortunately, they don't freeze very well. I am hoping to be able to get a pressure canner this year and cold pack the beans. (We always use frozen veggies) I am no rookie when it comes to ca nning, but I've always canned high acidity foods using the water bath canner. Don't even have a pressure cooker or canner!
- Amazon Prime seems to be the best thing that ever happened to us. Since we live out in the sticks, about 35 miles from any city, it can be problematic when we need something. For example, we needed more paint to finish our solar system mentioned above. No where for miles around sells art supplies other than crayons. We also have been checking out buying wholesale stuff from Amazon too, since the nearest Sam's Club is nearly 50 miles away.
- Hopefully we will be putting the wraps on this school year in the next 7 weeks. Double yay!
- Something that I always get a laugh out of (speaking of end-of-the-year stuff) is this: when you talk of end-of-the-school-year the public school parents mil dly groan and can't wait til the school year starts back. Homeschooler parents are the opposite; the y do the happy-dance when school is out and mildly groan when school starts back. Not saying that all public or homeschoolers are like this. This is just my personal observation amongst my circle of friends.
- Josiah is learning the color names with the help of Thomas the Tank Engine. He knows that Thomas is blue, Percy is green, and James is red. Lydia is trying to teach him pink. lol
P.S. I apologize for the layout of the images. I am not getting along well with the new blogger interface. The images won't "stick" where I stick them. Using the interface is not the problem. I like to type out my post and then add and arrange my images. Can add them very easily. Arranging them throughout the post is a different story...