Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Summer Synopsis

It really is high time I write a proper blog entry, isn't it?


Let's start with May. Our school year ended at the beginning of the month. The children's evaluations went well and I was also happy with their progress this year. I also watched my grandmother deteriorate rapidly after a hip break. It was so heart wrenching to see her go through it. It was amazing to see my mom, an only child, be there for her mother every step of her journey. Mom was such an example. We made lots of (long) trips to Pensacola, but it was certainly worth it. We also had time for other summer things.

Like lazing in the trees...
...and working in the garden
After her long struggle, my grandmother, Nannie as I always have called her, went on to heaven in June. Funny how when she was a phone call away all those questions that only she could answer would elude me. Now that I can never ask them, I can think of a zillion. She could crochet or sew anything. I can sew pretty well, but I can't crochet a stitch. And not for lack of trying. We also had a rather disappointing year in the garden. We had a good harvest, but with so much distracting, we simply were not able to gather all of it. I did, however manage to can FIVE GALLONS of tomatoes.
Keep out of the reach of children!
Don't know exactly, but I'm guessing around 80 pounds of homegrown, organic tomatoes.
All cut up and ready for cans.
We lost all of our second planting of corn and most of our peas. But we did manage to get several quarts of green beans put up. June was also sort of heart breaking since the youth group went off to camp without us for the first time in nine years. We also decided to expand our back patio. We spend a lot of time outside and our 10x12 patio was way too small. A huge shout-out goes to our friend, Marcus, who used to do concrete by trade, and made this possible for us. Now we have a great spot for birthday parties!

Helping Dad pour concrete.
The finished product, in large family size!


One of those perks of having a family business is bartering. Jeremy was also able to somehow barter two pallets of sod grass from a man to patch up the holes in the yard. Oh, and he also bartered all the sand and to have the old patio concrete removed. :-) Like I said, perks!

Now, I suppose that brings us to July. For the first time that I can remember, we decided just stay home for Independence Day. Can I just say that it was the best, most relaxing holiday we've ever ever had?! It's been 10 days ago and I'm still looking back with a smile! We did the typical: swim, eat watermelon, make homemade ice cream, grill, shoot our own fireworks, and go to the community fireworks display.

The gang, all suited up for swimming. I was first sad that I couldn't find a baby-sized rash guard for Noah, but got over it quickly when I saw how kissable his baby rolls are in the water!!

Cheese!

Watch me jump in, Mom.

Baby tubing.

Then the rest of the day....

Grilling hamburgers

Look at my fireworks!

Yeaaaah!

"You see dat one, Ma?"



I guess that brings me to mid July. I had something strange going on that I couldn't exactly put my finger on. Tuesday I had to go to the doctor and it turns out that I have shingles. Have you ever had shingles? After 5 c-sections, I'm no stranger to pain. Let me just say that having shingles hurts... and I mean hurts!! I'd say it in some ways compares to post-surgery pain. I'm hoping that I'm on the mend, but I'm not too sure. I'm supposed to teach VBS next week, but I've already returned my materials to Pastor because I just don't see it working out for me to be well enough.

Looking ahead, we hope to start school Tuesday. I had it on my calendar to start last Tuesday (the 10th), but since I could barely move that didn't happen. I also decided that the children having individual desks to do school was just not practical nor space efficient. I'm not going to add pictures, but hope to in the next post.

And I hope that it won't be months before my next post! :-)



8 edifying expressions:

Elizabeth O. McBride said...

Where are your shingles Elizabeth? I had them about 12 years ago, mine followed the left thoracic nerve. The pain was tolerable. But a friend had them of a facial nerve! She was in severe pain, and the shingles lasted for months. Her whole side of her face was involved, along with the cornea of her eye. It was 5 years before she could wear contacts. If you recognize you have the shingles in the first 48 hours or so there is anti-viral medicine you can take to reduce the pain and duration. Hope yours get better soon.

Elizabeth said...

Elizabeth,
I'm don't want to say which nerve because I'm likely to use the wrong terminology and look like an idiot. haha I can say that the blistering and pain is on my right side in the lumbar region of my back, extending all the way around to my tummy.

I've had a few friends describe their bouts with shingles and I think that everyone has a unique experience with it. One friend said that his shingles itched him to death, but with little pain. Mine have itched, but that pales in comparison to the pain. A year ago we all had the flu. Not just a "flu-like cold," but the real-deal flu. The pain reminds me a lot of flu-like pain you'd get with a high fever. So weird, I know.

Sarah said...

Hooray...I always LOVE reading your posts Elizabeth!

So sorry that you have been ill recently. I have heard to that shingles are pretty awful. :( I will pray for you.

Thank you for sharing your latest news and photographs of your beautiful kiddies! :)

Kristy... said...

Missed seeing you around! I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. And for the shingles. I so do not want them .... I hear they are awful :(

Your fourth looked so fun. We stayed home the year Abigail was born. Had some friends over and it was great!
Little Noah (as all of them) are getting SO big!!! glad to see your post!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. It has been many years since mine went to be with the Lord, and I still miss her. She was a nice lady.

Also wishing you a belated HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Hope you had a wonderful day.

God bless you and your family. Your 4th of July looked like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Sure am missing reading your blog. It is such a blessing!
Hope things are well with you and your family.
God Bless!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you on facebook, but will miss reading your blogs. Your family is beautiful.
God bless!

Anonymous said...

Just checked your blog as I didn't see you on facebook. Hope everything is going well with you.
Love reading and keeping up with you and your family. God Bless